Monday, March 8, 2010

Currently Chasing: Consequences

A friend of mine procrastinates. He does so every day in every aspect of his life. Even when it comes to relationships, he waits till the last minute to make a decision. His homework for his online courses is due Sunday at midnight, so he finishes it up around 11 (if they want it any earlier than they should move the deadline up, according to him.) He sees no purpose whatsoever in doing anything any earlier than it absolutely needs to be done.

However, I don’t blame him for his lack of motivation. I blame instead, the lack of consequence. The world, which used to be full of consequence, has now become too politically correct to call out anyone on their bullshit. And this isn’t just the case when it comes to procrastination. This is the case when it comes to anything.

The other day I asked my daughter to clean her room. She kicked some stuff around for a couple of minutes, turned on her TV and that was that. An hour later I walk into her portal for dirt and evil and I say again, clean your room. She pushes some stuff under her bed and around her dresser and again gets caught up in the TV. Here’s the problem, as a single mom, if I punish her by grounding her or making her stay in the house, then I also punish myself. Then I’m stuck in the house. Then I can’t go anywhere. So even when there are consequences, they are usually pushed aside with the words, I’m sorry, or I’ll clean it tomorrow. I’m definitely part of the problem here.

If the consequence for her not cleaning her room was a smack across her face, and no 3D viewing of Alic in Wonderland, well guess what? That room would be clean. If my friend’s punishment for not getting his homework done in a timely manner was points taken off his assignment, well he’d manage his time better.

If every cheater, liar and murderer on trial actually got sent to a prison without all the perks of a Holiday Inn, they may not be so quick to cheat, lie and murder. If the consequence isn’t severe these days, then the chance of real action being taken for anything positive is slim to none.

If the consequence for men treating me like shit is me continuing to let men treat me like shit, then men will continue to treat me like shit. Simple formula. And simple solution.

If the consequence for men treating me like shit is me telling them to fuck right off and then summarily moving on with my life, well, they’d think twice the next time they had shit to peddle.

And if my friend wants to wait till the very last possible minute to make me a part of his life, and the consequence is simply me continuing to wait, well I guarantee he’ll wait till midnight on Sunday, and by then the carriage is already a pumpkin.

And you can bet he’s not going to find the time to return that glass slipper.

No comments:

Post a Comment