Have you ever been waiting in line to have your blood drawn and you see someone in line ahead of you and think to yourself … do I know him? Did we possibly have sex in 1997? And then think … Nope, wow. Definitely not. It was 1998, the year my drink of choice was Tequila on the rocks. Every night. Yeah, that never happened to me either. Except that it did. Today.
It’s always a little strange when you see an old lover. It’s especially strange when you see two in one day and they are friends. That never happens to me either. Except that it did. Today.
Holy fuck! They say it’s a small world, but really? This small? We all just happened to be having our blood drawn in the very same place in fucking hot ass Mississippi? Damn you tiny little world. You really are like an annoying ride at Disney.
My question is it possible to be just friends with old lovers? A friend of mine blogged about this exact subject, and I’ll say the same thing now that I said then. Yes. But no. I mean, the words, “Let’s catch up were coming out of both of their mouths,” but all I was hearing was “Wow, remember that time…”
I mean, at this point they are both married and you all know from my last post that I’m in love with a man that I’m going to see again in about 400 days.
But still, here they were. Bites from my past reminding me that I eat too much. Reminding me that there were so many times in my life that I’ve thrown caution to the wind. Reminding me that there are things in my past that I’ve even lied to my diary about.
So I get a text later from one of my old lovers and he writes …
“What’s up for later? I’d like to catch up.”
To which I respond, “Not much, dinner probably.”
To which he replies, “What’s on the menu …”
And I quickly text back “Not me, just so you know.”
“Well Duh,” he says.
“Well … I know you,” I say.
What are old lovers anyway but friends who just weren’t boyfriend or girlfriend material? To be honest, I’ve shared more intimate moments with my television programs. And at some point all your favorite shows come to an end. Usually with a pretty mediocre finale. And once you’ve seen the season play out, there usually isn’t much time left in life for reruns.
So I decided not to throw this into the coincidence bank and instead think about the possible reasons for it. So early on my long journey and I’m already taking steps backward down memory lane? Why? I’ll tell you why. Because I needed a glimpse into my past to remind me to stay focused on my future.
When I turn around there are plenty of old ‘seasons’ I could rewatch. Truth is I’d just like to keep adding episodes of my current program.

That whole "having sex with guys who happen to be besties" thing didn't work out so well for me in the past... glad to hear it wasn't as awful in the aftermath for you, even if it was a little awkward.
ReplyDeleteWell, we didn't gave sex again, but just seeing them was enough to remind me of a past that I'm happy to move past.
ReplyDeleteI think it's important to know what you want and what you don't want. Exes are exes for a reason, which is why I wouldn't have sex with Philly Matt unless we were a couple again. Thanks for linking to my post! xoxo
ReplyDeleteIs the world really that small or are you just a big hootchie mama :)
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness yes. That is totally possible chubby. Hoping to change that as well;-)
ReplyDelete