Sunday, February 13, 2011

Currently Chasing: More than Words

So here’s my dilemma. There is a boy who loves me. Or let me rephrase. There is a boy who says he loves me. There is a difference.
We all remember the boy who loved me so much that he broke up with me over email the day after asking me to marry him. This same boy is also the reason I’m ‘widowed’ on my facebook page. He’s dead to me.
How could we forget the boy who texted me at 9 a.m. on Valentine’s Day last year to let me know he’d have to cancel our date because he ‘got laid’ the night before and felt guilty. All of this after assuring me that he was the luckiest man in the world to have even known me.
We remember the off again /on again boyfriend who loved me so much he slept with – well – everyone.
But here ladies and gentlemen is a man who says it, and also says he means it. What should I make of this?  Some of you say make nothing of it. After all, I’m in Afghanistan and this is NOT real life. It’s easy to say the L word out here and get away with it. Love love love…say it with me. Love love love. See how easy it rolls off the tongue when there is a possibility you could die from a random rocket attack?
Once you start throwing that word around in the states, where you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice than you do of a shrapnel wound from – well – anything;, the love words stops being as easy to say. Lo…cal. Lo…w budget. Lo…ok, it's just not working out. That’s what rolls off the tongue in the good ol’ US of A.
But for some reason, shrapnel or no shrapnel, I’m pretty sure this guy loves me. Like, loves me loves me, not just loves me.  And hearing someone say that and mean it scares me worse than the damn rocket attack.
You see, I’m used to hearing people tell me they love me. My parents say it. My daughter says it. My friends say it.  Many a man has said it. However, it has kind of always felt as simple as a hello or a goodbye. I love you is just something you say when you are about to get off the phone with someone. Or something you text before you go to sleep at night. Or something you say to someone after they’ve done something amazing for you.
But this boy…well he just says it. In the middle of the day. For no apparent reason other than he just wants to make me situationally aware of his love. And he says it. Like, he looks me in the eyes and says, I love you. And I get nervous like I should say something back or nod my head or run out of the room screaming … but he doesn’t expect any of that. He just tells me so that I know. And then he goes on with his day. And occasionally he’ll tell me again. Just in case I’ve forgotten. And I know deep down, he says he loves me, and he thinks he means it. Let me rephrase. He knows he means it.
He of course had a life before Afghanistan, and he will have one after. He’s made plenty of decisions since being here that make it both easy and impossible for us to have a future together. I find it difficult after spending so many years in the Navy to make any type of sound decision based on deployment feelings, so I just don’t.  I am anxious to get back to my daughter, my house, my job, my car, my clothes, my hairstylist, my indoor plumbing and my life. I’m also getting ready to go on vacation with a man that I’ve exchanged I love yous with for years and years. Only now I know what love looks like…and I’m anxious to see if I’ll recognize it on this vacation. Or if it will just get lost in the hello and end up a goodbye.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so confused as well. From reading your older posts, my initial reaction was to say that this person is a really good friend, but not a good partner for you. You can love and be loved by a friend, do anything for them, completely trust them to have your back with your things, your finances, even your child. But friends also have their own separate lives. They have their own homes, families, people they choose to sleep with, etc. So I would put him the really close friend category. On the other hand, the more he comes back to you and the more he says he loves you, I get the feeling he really does want to be that guy for you. But he can't or won't change his ways to fit the normal ideal. It sounds self destructive to give into it. You deserve better. Your daughter deserves to witness a better example of a loving man. But your heart can be very convincing. I've followed my heart and had it ripped out. But it was good while it was good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you written about this guy before? Is he just saying it because everything feels so dire out in Afghanistan? How do you feel about him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post because I too understand what it is to be "loved" and then discarded. It's horrible. The fact that he says it and has no agenda is beautiful. It's a reminder that we shouldn't make blanket generalizations. How nice that he is restoring some hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also you know what else? I'm brewing on a blog post in my head about this but I just picked up the book "Attached: the science of human attachment" and it seems to explain why some people love & leave: they get terrified of getting close at some level. It's kindof healing to read this and understand that it's not personal. Maybe this guy fits the "normal" (or "secure" attachment style (the book as a few) and isn't threatened or scared by his feelings like so many are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "situationally aware of his love"

    Those are some words I never thought I'd read. Situational awareness can stop you from stepping even on love landmines I guess.

    ReplyDelete