So father’s day is fast approaching and I suck at buying gifts. There are two reasons for this.
1. As soon as I buy a gift I give it to the person I bought it for. If they are far away I will call them and tell them I bought them a gift. I will ask a hundred times if they want to know what it is. When the consistently say no, I get pissed and send them a phone photo of it. I have no patience and I want people to enjoy whatever it is right away.
2. There are so many people in my life that I only see once or twice a year and seriously, I just don’t know what they would need/like. So I end up buying them something I need/want. Then I end up buying one for myself as well. And you can see how all of that turns out very expensive, and usually only one person is needing/wanting that gift.
So I’ve gotten into the habit of giving gift cards or cash. That may seem impersonal, but you know what? Life is becoming a little impersonal and I’m just evolving with it. Also, mother’s day and my mother’s birthday, and father’s day and my father’s birthday are very close together. So the thought of coming up with two gifts they are going to want/need = four gifts that I want/need and two parents that wonder where they went wrong.
So I sent my parents cash and let them do whatever. My mother went and saw a show and gambled a bit. My father bought an Ipod touch (and now we can face-to-face chat, which I think is awesome.)
They spent that money on things they probably would not have spent money on otherwise, so I was happy.
But I decided I would also do one more thing. My father reads my blog and I thought…you know what? I’m going to write my father a blog post. I hope this doesn’t embarrass him. Oh who am I kidding?
So without further ado… CURRENTLY CHASING: Daddy
Thank you Father! It is because of you that I can sing and write poetry/songs/blogs. Thank you for not being a sports guy. For not forcing me onto a soccer team or dragging me to ‘the game.’ Thank you for sitting down and watching To Kill a Mockingbird with me, and then (at my request) calling me Scout and allowing me to call you Atticus.
Thank you for picking me up and taking me to Disneyland when I was having a bad day. Thank you for believing me when I told you I knew the entire it’s a Small World Song in Spanish. Thank you for then allowing me to continually sing this fake Spanish song to you.
Thank you for helping me get my first job at Castle Park.
Thank you for moving out of the nudist camp so that I could come to live with you.
Thank you for educating me on the fact that Tiffany was not the one who wrote “When I saw ‘him’ standing there.”
Thank you also for bringing me back to reality when I read you the very first poem a boy had ever written for me and you informed me that it wasn’t a poem, but instead lyrics from Stairway to Heaven, and you can assure me it wasn’t written by that boy and it wasn’t written for me.
Thank you for not freaking totally out when I told you I had sex for the first time.
Thank you for marrying your step sister my mother.
Thank you for losing your patience after about an hour of trying to teach me how to play the guitar.
Thank you for using the money I sent you to buy an IPod touch so that we can now talk face to face.
Thank you for my sense of humor.
Thank you for being an awesome Grandfather.
Thank you for being an awesome father.
Thank you for reading my blog even though there are days you probably shouldn’t.
Happy Father’s day Daddy.
And if this isn’t enough I’ve been eying up a cute pink Coach purse that I’m sure you want/need!

...and Than You for being a Wonderful Daughter. You have always been like Sunlight Dancing on the Ocean...I Love You Scout
ReplyDeleteAtticus
PS Does the pink Coach come with a matching cover for the ipod?
Castle Park, that was a great day for me.
ReplyDeleteG
Love this post and the first comment!
ReplyDeleteAnd, I always have a hard time keeping a great present a secret, too. Lol. xoxo