I got the new Iphone4! It was time for an upgrade. Or was it?
It's white. I bought a cover for it at the very first Kiosk I saw, and then of course saw a hundred different cases I'd rather have. That always happens. But for now, I'm sticking with the one I originally bought. I've been realizing lately that in life there is always going to be something 'just around the bend' that seems flashier than what you've already got...but you just spent $20 bucks on something you just a second ago thought was the best thing ever...so why are we always so quick to jump at what we think is an upgrade.
Everything fit fine on my other phone. My 3Gs wasn't perfect - it would often tell me there was no SIM card installed and I would have to take off my earring and use the back of it to get the SIM card out, then I would blow on it and stick it back in the slot (that worked for my phone just as well as it works for most things) - but overall, my phone was fine. It made it to Afghanistan and back and I even got $150 bucks on the trade in. That phone was a trooper. But I traded it away, got my new white Iphone4 and that was that. So now I can do cool things like face time, which means I can see the person I'm calling, and I can use the the front facing camera as a mirror if I'm in a pinch. It's all part of the upgrade.
My BF wasn't due for an 'upgrade' until December, but took a look at my pretty-fly-for-a-white phone and decided he had to have one. So we head back to the mall. He gets $180 for his old phone, decides he likes the black better than the white, gets a fancy new case and before you know it we are both owners of a phone that barely gets signal in our either of our homes. Perfection.
So he has it connected to his itunes so he could reinstall of his apps, photos, notes and what not.
"I really hope all of my apps make it over," he said.
"They will," I reassured him.
"Did all of your stuff make it over?" he asked.
"Yes, but I had to delete most of my pictures because my music takes up so much space," I said.
"How much music do you have?" he asked.
"About 1200 songs," I said.
"Geezus! I only have like 100 songs," he responds.
"I like to listen to music," I said.
"No, you like spending money," he replied.
Boy was he right. He told me I should put the music into folders and only put the music I actually listen to on my Iphone and keep the rest in easily transferrable folders that I can add here and there if I need to. I told him I would think about doing that since it sounded a whole lot like organization and in the words of Cee-Lo...Fuck you oo oo.
So I start to doze off and he says something about rubbing his back. I'm so tired at this point, and I have to wake up for work bright and early, so I groggily say something like, "I would do anything for love, but I won't do that."
He pulls out his Iphone, pushes a few buttons, presses it up to my ear and hits play. All of a sudden meatloaf is blaring from his Itunes library.
"Are you fucking kidding me?" I ask. You have like three fucking songs on your Iphone and that is one of them?"
"I like that song," he said.
So we listen to the song...once it's over I begin to doze again...but then with insane alertness I say:
"Have you ever just thought about being a grown up? When I was younger I used to think my mother had every answer. She just seemed so all knowing. Now I know she was just a scared 19-year-old girl who married her step brother. (different story for a different time.) My mom paid bills and took care of me and I mean, I thought she was a grown up, but she wasn't. She probably didn't feel like a grown up for quite a few years after I was born. And when I see bills arrive in my mail, I pay them with money that I earn at a job. And I own a house and I'm a grown up. But I don't feel like one. And my daugther thinks I have all the answers and I don't? For fucks sake I'm still walking around looking for my upgrades!"
I pause there, and wait for his response.
"My fucking fruit Ninja didn't transfer over," he says frustrated.
"I'm so glad I'm pouring my soul out to you and you are mad because you can't virtually slice fruit with your fucking finger."
I ended up laughing about it then, and I'm still laughing about it now...but in that moment I could only think one thing.
Upgrade.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




those phones are also good for taking videos, if you know what I mean lol
ReplyDeleteitalian.
I wish I absolutely didn't know what you mean. but of course, I know what you mean.
ReplyDeletei meant for you and the bf, you guys could have some fun ;)
ReplyDeleteSmh at how deluded guys can be. It's not just your BF. Upgrade or not, I have your back! xoxo
ReplyDelete