Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Currently Chasing: The words

I’d like to take this bloggertunity to say Happy Birthday to a friend of mine. Now before you start thinking I’m cheap (first a birthday blog for my dad, and now a birthday blog for my friend) you should know that the greatest gifts I could give to both my father and this particular friend are words. Don’t ask me why. Words are cheap! People throw words around all the time. People word you half to death. Texts, IMs, Chats, Emails, Phone Calls … Words, words, words.
They don’t really mean much without feeling behind them. And that’s where these words come in. They are more than just letters strung together. I can assure you.
My friend G reads my blog. She also has been sending me composition notebooks for years. I used to use them as journals, but it became dangerous to leave that much proof of my past lying around, so I started using them for poetry…and now I just use them as catch-alls at work.  I love them as well as the red vines that accompany almost every package she sends.
She never forgets a holiday and she is always quick to remind me that I don’t need to lose weight or get plastic surgery or alter myself in any way.
There are people in your life because they want something from you, and there are people in your life because they expect something from you. But then there are people in your life who want and expect nothing from you. G is one of those people.  I haven’t written a poem in a really long time. It’s just not something I make time for anymore. But here goes an attempt. Happy Birthday G and thank you for being a great friend.

When I met you I was merely a teen,
Full of angst, enthusiasm and low self esteem.
We were fast friends and who could have known,
That we still be friends even now that we’re grown.
And sometimes I don’t write and I hate to call,
And sometimes you don’t hear from me, nothing at all.
And then all of a sudden I’m married or maybe,
I’m knocked up and looking to pop out a baby.
And though you are caught off guard by the facts,
It doesn’t stop you from keeping our pacts.
And you still send letters to me through the mail,
But do not have text messaging, which is an epic fail.

And there you go! Just some words. From me to you…via the entire internet. That’s how you know I mean them.

2 comments: