(Origonal Post: February 20, 2006 - Monday)
Platonic: Transcending physical desire. Located right before Platoon in the dictionary. But directly across from Playboy ironically.
Let me break it down. Men and women cannot be friends. Not 'just' friends. There is always a want on either side of that equation. Now I'm not saying a group of co-workers cannot go out for a drink after work. That happens a lot where I work. But if you ask Karen out for some drinks after work, and noone else is invited, then guess what. There is nothing friendly about that. Either she wants you or you want her.
It is possible that she doesn't want you at all. She is Platonic in her head. But you are looking at her like "in case of emergency break glass" material. Or vice/versa. But there is nothing Platonic about a relationship like that.
Lately I've been meeting people on the Platonic Foundation. But earthquakes are indeed the natural disaster I continue to encounter on the soil of that bogus Platonic Foundation. If Mike comes up and says Happy Birthday, then he probably means Happy Birthday. But if he comes up and says, Hey, let me take you to the Melting Pot to celebrate, chances are he thinks he'll end up in bed with me in the near future.
There has really only been ONE man in my lifetime who really just wanted to be friends. And I didn't believe him. He didn't want to have sex with me, or take advantage of me. He just quite literally wanted to 'hang out.' But I've already told you, Platonic does not exist for adults. The more 'friends' he wanted to be, the more I pushed him for more. And eventually we wanted each other dead. We are 'friends' now, mostly because we will never see each other again.
When we were kids, Platonic was a way of life. Cooties were an epidemic back then, so no one wanted to get too close to the opposite sex anyway. When did it become a rule that men and women could not be friends. And if you are thinking in your mind right now that you have a friend and the two of you are 'just friends' and there never has been anything and there never will be anything, then let me ask you this ...
1. Will there never be anything because you don't want anything?
2. Will there never be anything because he doesn't want anything?
3. If you answer that neither of you want anything, then one of you is lying. Or one of you is Brokeback. Period. The end.
There is no male in my life right now who would just call me up to hang out and nothing else. NOT A SINGLE ONE. In the back of his mind, or my mind, more would be going on. We would be reading into every sentence, every word.
And as it stands right now there is only ONE guy that I'm thinking about a lot. And it seems to me that he is more on the Platonic wave length than anyone. And isn't that how it always is. He is probably thinking, why can't we just be friends. And I'm thinking, what would our babies look like. It's never ending.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment