Friday, June 19, 2009

Is he a bargain?

(Original Post: October 18, 2006 - Wednesday)

As you all know My friend and I went to Cancun, Mexico. Awesome right? Of course! And more recently My friend and I went on a cruise, which took us to Cozumel, Mexico. And as you all know, shopping is an interactive experience there.

They say I want 600 bucks for that stuff, you say I'll give you 100, they say, 360, you say 100, they say 270, you say 100, and then they say, get lost. And you do.

One of two things happen at this point. Either A, you choose to fucking live without that shit, or B, you wait until that person calls you back in to make a deal. This happened both times. The first time to My friend. She wanted some stuff, they couldn't settle on a price, we told her to just forget about it and go, but she didn't want to. We finally convinced her to leave the store, but fuck! She was pissed. She wanted that shit! She had been to all the other stores and she hadn't found that exact shit.

She knew she had only one option. Go back into the store and make a deal.

My friend and I ran into that again recently. In a store, finding unique bullshit that we couldn't live without. We go up to bargain and he won't settle. Not on the price we want. So we walk. But I'm pissed. Cause I want that shit. And walking away from it was hard. But it wasn't priced right. And at the end of the day I had to convince myself that it really didn't look that good on me anyway. (But deep down, I knew it did.)

Relationships are the same way. You walk around a foreign country for what feels like years. Everyone seems to be speaking a different language. But then it happens. Just when you weren't looking you walk smack into the perfect store. It has everything you think you want. You are thrilled. You try it on. It fits perfect. The color is just right.

Then you start to negotiate.

You say marriage and babies. He says, friends with benefits. You say engaged and the pill. He says, sex and candy. You say Girlfriend/boyfriend. He says, friend that's a girl.

What happens when you can't agree on a price? Your friends will tell you to leave the shit in the store. But you know it's not that easy. You've fucking walked the entire country. You've poked into more stores than you care to remember. Some didn't have air conditioning. Some didn't even have windows.

But they will say, hey, walk out. Maybe he'll come back out and try to deal. But do you risk it? Do you just push the stuff back on the shelf, say later days and hope for the best. Or do you pay the 600 bucks and just be glad it wasn't any more than that? After all, you haven't seen anything else like it anywhere else.

I've got the money, but I'm still holding out for the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment