Monday, October 5, 2009

Currently Chasing: A Bridge to Somewhere

How many words does a picture really speak? A thousand? Cause that's a lot of words. I guess they are considering all the different ways people might interpret that photo, and then adding all those words together. But I've seen pictures that don't speak many words at all.
Even scarier are the ones that speak too much, to the wrong people, at the wrong time in your career.

The real question here is when is it ok to let the photos stop speaking to you, and for you?

I have oodles of photo albums. They are diaries in a way. They say things like, I was heavy as a baby. I took third place in the spelling bee. I looked retarded with long hair. Sweat pants and a T-shirt do not an outfit make. Your prom dress only looks cool on prom night, not in a random photo a year later while wearing socks. Multi-Braids only look good on Bo Derrick. I was heavy as a teenager. I used to have boobs. I look good in black. I look awful in black. I was cute one day back in '97. I was heavy as an adult.

My pictures also point out years and years of failed relationships. I sometimes flip through the books and think, yeah, look at him, he was hot, and he was with me. Almost like the pictures are kept just as proof. Do I really still need that useless validation? Do I still need these stupid photos as a reminder that I've been there and done that? It's time for me to start getting rid of things. My horoscope said to find something everyday and get rid of it. Give it away. Throw it away. Hell, burn it if you have to.

The first thing I should burn is a bunch of these bridges that lie around and lead to nowhere.

Anyone got a match.

1 comment: