Thursday, October 8, 2009

Currently Chasing: Something better

The person who proclaimed “words can never hurt you” must have been deaf. Because although sticks and stones may break my bones, there are casts and crutches that will get me back to good. However, words will kick you in the face, repeatedly. Words are like tiny tic-tac bombs in the back of your skull, just waiting to explode when you least expect it.

Phrases are even worse. Phrases may as well slit your fucking throat. A few of the slaughter sayings are, “It’s not you, it’s me” “I am afraid of getting hurt” and my all time favorite, “You deserve so much better than me.” Are you fucking kidding me? Rip my heart out with this bullshit why don’t ya!?

Let me tell you something. These are just words, but they are words that pack a fucking punch. “You deserve better.” Then why can’t you mother fucking be better dumb ass? Why am I being punished because you’re not better? If I’m such a damn princess, shouldn’t you be inspired to step up to the white picket fence and ask me to lower my braid of hair for you to climb? Return the glass slipper already! But no, they will simply say you deserve better, and then they will move on. And wait for better to fucking fall in your lap. But if something better ever does come around, he'll be sure to cockblock it! "You deserve better than THAT guy."

It all reminds me of an old Twix commercial. A man is walking with a Twix candy bar in his pocket. It falls out. A little boy sees this and runs up and says, “Excuse me mister, but you dropped your candy.” The man looks at him and says, wow, thanks. He opens it up and pulls out one of the crispy, wafery, chocolaty goodies and says, “You know kid, you deserve a reward.” Then he takes a big bite and says, “Yep, you sure do.” Then he walks away. Some asshole is eating my half of a Twix bar right now, all the while repeating the phrase, “you deserve better!”

It’s ok. I can live without that Twix bar. And let’s be honest; it deserves better than me.

4 comments:

  1. The truth's not here to be nice. Not here to be cruel or to hurt feelings. The truth has only one job. To be true. And you speak the truth. All that "You deserve better" crap is just way of someone complimenting how great you are while admitting one thing: they can't be bothered to be that person. In the meantime, they're also the one's who'll say, "if that guy doesn't treat you right, I'll kick his ass."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may think he was just giving you a line, but there is a very good chance he was telling you the truth, even if he wasn't intending to.
    Sometimes the truth is painful, but in this case it is really a compliment. Keep waiting for something better, so when better comes through the door you'll be happy for the truth.

    "Child, don't close your eyes the truth contains much beauty
    And though it scars your soul, it can heal the wounds it makes"
    -Kendall Payne

    If commenter one falls through I'd be happy to kick someone's ass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right, it's not a line if YOU use it ...

    I love that commenter 2 proved commenter 1's point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its about being honest with yourself, and knowing what you want.

    People who use that phrase are just too scared to tell you that you arent really what I was looking for. They think if they sugar coat it then it will be easier for you, just give me the fucking truth. Dont sugar coat shit!

    Thats something alot of my friends over the years have really valued about my opinion. That no matter what I say or how I say it I give it to them straight up. It might hurt, it might make you cry but you can pick yourself up faster from the truth rather than "you deserve so much better than me."

    I could do better if I could just stop thinking what wasn't good enough for her... especially when it is something that you have given everything you had for.

    Live and learn I guess, and try not to make the same mistakes again.

    I wish I could stop learning all the things I am doing wrong in relationships and find a few of the things I am doing right. But I guess I should be the one to tell myself what I am doing right.

    Kudos though, I always love reading your blogs!!!

    ~CMT

    ReplyDelete