Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Currently Chasing: A Bag Handler

Recently I flew with Southwest. It was a very pleasant experience. They have their own gate, their own baggage claim and their own economy friendly policy. One bag (weighing 50 pounds or less) can be checked for free. I like that policy. I’m adopting that policy.

The emotional and physical baggage that I am willing to accept at this point in my life will be limited to one free checked back and a carry on. And that carry-on better be able to fit in either the upper compartment or the area in front of your feet!

Before I can really put this policy into place, I had to assess the baggage currently taking up space in my own terminal. And so I did. I have two failed marriages in my checked bag. The first one (which lasted less than a year) managed to provide me with one extra bag to check (Bankruptcy.) Since then, I’ve been able to shed that bag, leaving me with just the word…marriage, but no actual accompanying baggage, in fact, barely a carry-on. My second marriage left me with a daughter. I will put her into my free checked bag. She’s magnificent, and you’re probably luckier to have her than me if you want to get technical about it.

Other than that I own my home, have a great job, really great friends, proud parents and a good credit score. However, I can’t cook. So that may have to go in the carry on. I also don’t always like putting laundry away. So add that as well. Still a manageable carry-on, as long as there is less than three ounces of liquid in there, I think we’re good. Although my eyeliner was once confiscated as both a liquid and a weapon.

And now I’m looking for a man who can assess himself. A man who knows how much his baggage weighs. Who understands that emotional baggage is the same as physical baggage. Who doesn’t have a problem taking things out of his bag immediately, if it’s over the weight limit. A man who will throw away a just-purchased bottle of water if it means boarding the flight faster. A man who travels light. And who knows when not to travel.

Someone man enough to carry my bags.

2 comments: