Sunday, March 21, 2010

Currently Chasing: Round Two

So if you read my last blog, you know that I got a number from a Bob Evans waiter who looks like Justin Timberlake. So to update you all, I texted him. I said look, I know you’re younger than me, but nothing says we can’t go out, have a good time, and continue on with these bad decisions I keep making.

He agreed, which led me to believe that he must be pretty smart, even for his not yet ripe age of 24. So we agree to meet at Dave and Busters. Nice place, dimly lit, with only the light from the ski ball game to highlight my ‘experience lines.’

He arrives first and gives me a call. I let him know I’m not far behind. He approaches the bar to order a drink. They card him. He realizes he forgot his ID and he calls me to tell me he has to go home really quick. Kudos to him for actually telling me why.

So I show up and head toward the bar. No problem getting served. No ID necessary. Go figure. So I’m waiting. Looking as desperate as you can imagine. Thirty something alone at the bar in what commercials advertise as an adult playground. Good Lord. So I text him and tell him to hurry up because the dude across the bar is eye raping me. And he looks old. Like at least 27.

So while I wait I think of all of the awful dates I’ve been on. I remember the guy who asked for my underwear after our date. I recall the guy who ‘borrowed’ 85 dollars from me to take out my friend. I remember the dude who left me a crazy love song on my machine the very first time he called me. I think about the guy who cheated on me on each day that ended in Y. And I think about all the young guys I’ve dated who planned their days around the Simpsons. And I start to think that I should just bolt right out of there. Two things keep me from doing that. Number 1: The Madori Sour. I love that drink, and it had been awhile since I had one. And 2. This guy reminds me of Justin Timberlake…and I’m going to enjoy looking at him even if everything he says makes me want to vomit up my Madori.

But guess what. When he shows up, it feels like an old friend just arrived. And after we started talking we didn’t run out of things to say. And when it was time for the night to end, we were both a little disappointed. But I had to end it. Law and Order was coming on.

1 comment: