Monday, May 10, 2010

Currently Chasing: Cows

I shared this story with my students the other day.

There once was a beautiful girl. Only everyone told her she was ugly. And in this place where she lived women weren’t showered with diamonds to prove they were loved, instead, their families were showered with…cows. That’s right. The more cows you pay for your wife, the more popular and beautiful she becomes to other women in the village.

Just like how in this day and age women walk around flashing their wedding ring (the more bling, the more love), women in this village would go around bragging about how many cows were paid for them.

“I’m a five cow wife,” said one woman.

“I’m a seven cow wife!” bragged another.

So this woman walked around getting made fun of every single day.

“You aren’t even worth half a cow,” said one woman.

“You’ll have to give yourself away,” said another.

One day a man came to town and got all the women talking. He was very handsome. He could have his choice of any women in the village. In fact, some of those bitches may have even paid a cow or two for him! He kept seeing a shy woman around the village who wouldn’t make eye contact and who would run away every time he was around. He went to her father and asked for her hand in marriage.

Her father said “you can have her for one cow.”

The man refused. He said he wanted to pay 10 cows for her. Her father was astonished. Why would anyone want to pay 10 cows for his ugly-ass daughter? Only, she wasn’t ugly. She just needed to believe she was pretty. And how could she not be if such a handsome man was willing to pay 10 cows for her!

When word spread all the women were jealous. And she was able to walk around the village with her head held high, for she was a 10-cow wife.

A couple weeks after I told this story to them I was having an off day. They all got together and each drew a cow on a piece of paper. 12 students; 12 cows. They presented it to me. They told me not to be sad because in their opinion I was a 12-cow teacher!

Only guess what. I would of rather have had diamonds. No girl these days wants to be associated with a damn cow, especially not 12 of those fat things. Geezus H! Those students will never learn.

3 comments:

  1. Those cows are cute. I especially like the one in the lower right corner.

    Students these days are so cheap though. Cows really!?!? I bet they don't even tell you everyday that you are AMAZING with lots of applause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the cutest thing ever! Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought she liked the cow thing... and you know we're e-3 or lower, we can't afford diamonds! So cow drawings will have to suffice... But you should know, we cared enough to listen and remember your story =D

    Krystal-I think it will fade away when my class graduates...

    ReplyDelete