Saturday, November 27, 2010

Currently Chasing: The Remote Control

Do you all remember the guy who stood me up on Valentine’s Day? He was a reporter for a local paper and I was giving him a chance despite my gut feeling that said “He’s not in your league?” He ended our acquaintanceship by saying, 'sorry, I can’t meet you today, I got laid last night.'
Let’s call him, The Reporter.

And do you remember the girl who let this guy email himself back into her life? Let’s call her … the Dumb Ass.
The first email from The Reporter was innocent enough. The subject line read: Are you back? The email read:
****Hey T –
I’m not looking to hang out or anything, but I did think about you yesterday and was curious if you are already home and if you had fun and got back safe.
Hope you’re well,
The Reporter.****
As soon as I saw his name in my inbox I rolled my eyes, but instead of hitting delete, I read the email, rolled my eyes again, and did what any normal person WOULD NOT do. I responded. And in Kind no less.
We exchanged a couple of emails about Thanksgiving and my career and his fundraising goals for Haiti and then he hits me with this:
****I’m not out of your league by the way. I made a mistake like a human being is apt to do. But I also admitted it and didn’t try and sleep with you just so I could ‘get a piece.’ The results may have been crappy. But I hope at least you can appreciate my Colbertesque truthiness. With that said I am not trying to butter you up or anything, that ship has sailed, but it is a really pretty ship. Be good!
-The Reporter ****
Did you see anything in that email that would make someone think there was buttering up going on? It was rude and it was WRONG. I immediately wrote back.
“Ok…..let’s not go back to that place. You didn’t sleep with me because … I didn’t let you! I made it clear that wasn’t going to happen…so you could have kept our date.”
To which he responds:
***You didn’t really make it clear – you had a few moments where you talked as though things could happen and you verbally said ‘never say never.’ It doesn’t matter whether you would have slept with me or not – I know I was being honest and not trying to play games. I’m not claiming you were interested in me, but our kiss at Bowie Town Center suggested you had interest. Not to mention our three-hour dinner. But that’s a moot point. I’m glad I have the opportunity to know you in whichever capacity.***
There is so much about this that is fucked up…let me assure you. I will admit, I did enjoy a meal with him, as my blog on February 15 (the day after he stood me up) details. And it did last three hours. We were talking and it was nice. It was the ONLY reason I thought maybe there was something there despite my lack of immediate attraction to him. But after the kiss that night, and yes, there was one, I KNEW there was nothing physical taking place there…ever again.
He said he was trying not to play games…but during our brief encounter in each other’s lives he would make plans to see me and then cancel them…or say he wanted to see but come up with a 100 reasons why he couldn’t meet up after all. It was strange, it was mysterious and it was … a game!
This goes back to my last blog about starting over. A friend said it best…sometimes we keep diving back into past relationships so we don’t have to replay the awkward get to know each other scenes. But I think I’m going to just fast forward to the part where I end my association with the reporter the mature way … by blogging about him and hoping he reads it.

2 comments:

  1. The reporter sounds smarmy as hell. What a bag of dicks.

    On a related note, I hate guys. Guess who texted me yesterday "because I think he's an asshole, and that's not fair"? And when I said I didn't want to hear it, he called me a bitch.

    Oh yeah, I'm putting that shit on the internet, too. And I hope your reporter reads this one as well. And then the two of them can go fuck themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reporter does sound very cocky! I'm not surprised that he contacted you or that you're not interested in resurrecting the possibility of a relationship with him.

    ReplyDelete