Monday, June 1, 2009

Kissing = cheating? Who knew

(Original Post: May 29, 2006 - Monday)

Ok. So I'm looking up relationship. Mutual dealings or connections, as among persons, groups or nations. With this definition I am in a relationship with every person I know.
Now let's look up seeing each other. As a whole, the term does not exist, but if you look under 'see' it does say, to visit regularly and socially. So, If you are "seeing someone," I guess you could say the two of you are in a relationship. But under these flimsy definitions I 'see' most of the people I work with, a few people in Virginia, and another couple in California. By this definition, I should feel most committed to my roommate. For it is her I 'see' most often, and her I find myself considering when decisions are made that effect my life. Under no circumstances do these definitions mention anything about monogamy, commitment, loyalty or responsibility. Nowhere in these certain terms does it talk at all about exclusivity or liability. Even the term boyfriend only defines itself as a favored male companion or sweetheart. Meaning, and I think Sublime said it perfectly, "you're not the only one, but you're the best." Neither husband nor wife, spouse nor significant other, boyfriend nor girlfriend = mutual understanding that kissing another person would jeopardize that act of 'seeing' each other. So here is my sitch. I am 'seeing' someone. We have not established or labeled ourselves. We have only agreed that we enjoy each other's company. Yet kissing someone else this weekend sent him into a bit of a spin up. He was angry. When I asked him why he was so upset, he answered with "You cheated on me. Wouldn't you be upset if I cheated on you?" That question left me speechless and wondering, at what point does someone have the right to ask you to consider them? At what point do you give someone power over your other relationships, and your relations? And at what point do you cut the shit and just say "I want to be the only one and the best?" In this day and age, do you even ever get that right? It seems to me that being faithful is not human nature. If it was, everyone would be doing it. Instead of just doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment