I don’t know how it is for most of the free world, but for me, I chose to leave the nest very early on. I was only 17 when I left the barn searching for greener pastures.
And I found them. Everywhere. You see, whereas most of the time the grass only seems greener, for me the grass always WAS greener.
I chose to leave because I was running from something. A life that would have led me down a path constantly traveled by. And that my friends, would have made a terrible difference.
I come from a life of no consequence. I never had to ditch school. Instead I would just tell my mom I didn’t feel like going and she’d let me stay home. My boyfriends were allowed in my room. The cops would return my brothers to the house every time I babysat. I was irresponsible and no one cared.
But a lot has changed since then. I live a life now where I’m not used to getting jerked around. When someone says they are going to do something, I pretty much feel like they are going to do it.
If someone tells me they are going to fly out here and they need me to pick them up at 9 a.m. from the airport, I pretty much figure I’ll be picking them up at 9 from the airport. What I don’t expect is that I’m going to be sitting there for 45 minutes waiting, just to find out that they never got on the flight, but just didn’t think to call and let me know. And that maybe they’ll be there by 10 p.m., or maybe tomorrow at 8:15.
Yeah, and hopefully God will be stopping by to turn your wine back into water Drunkie.
I should have known better than to think something from my past life could reside in my current life. The two feel universes apart. It’s painful to think back now and realize that my entire life was lived with that same amount of uncertainty. Never knowing if what was said is what would be done. Never really being able to make two and two add up to four. It’s a frustrating life. One that I literally floated away from almost 16 years ago.
But I’m also a sucker for a second chance. I love handing them out like Chinese chicken samples at a food court. So I’m going back to that airport even though everything in body tells me not to. And I’m going to unlock my car door and wait. If my mystery guest doesn’t arrive this time, I’m going to lock that door forever.

im sorry Terrina. my heart hurts for you... especially after the excitement you've expressed and shared with all of us over the last few days. I love you - and I promise if I every say I am going to come visit I will be there - you are too good of a person and too good of a friend to screw over like that and take advantage of. <3
ReplyDeleteSweetie, I had no idea! You know for a fact, that when I say I will bet there.... I AM THERE...and can't wait to see you again...miss and love you!
ReplyDeleteMichelle (from Cali)