Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Currently Chasing: the Box

"I'm nobody, until I'm somebody, then I'm that guy." That is what he said to me. He wanted to be significant, but the only thing that makes him stand out in my mind is that quote and his height. Short. Very short. He assured me that not everything is proportionate, and that objects in his pants may be bigger than they appear. And I know he wasn't talking about his legs. I've seen those. They're short.

But still...there is more to life than a big dick and a good catch phrase. So he went back into the box.

"I am more concerned with your success and happiness than I am with my own." That is what he said to me. He was hoping to be significant, but ended up annoying and clingy. And he could never measure up to his words and I was tired of giving him a boost. He had a boat and a house and said I could make myself comfortable in both.

But still...there is more to life than boats and houses. So he went back into the box.

"It took me 30 years, but I finally found the one." That is what he said to me. He wanted to be significant. And he was for awhile. But one day I just couldn't stand the way he laughed anymore. He would open his mouth so wide and he would laugh so hard. He would laugh at a joke before he got done telling it. Before the rest of us had a chance to assure him it was funny. He had a promising career and great teeth.

But still...there is more to life than a career and great teeth. So he went back into the box.

"I couldn't be luckier to have someone like you care about me." That is what he said to me. He wanted to be significant. He could have been. But there was something needy about his words. It festered into an overall neediness that I was too selfish to embrace. He was strong and creative.

But still...there is more to life than a great body and creativity. So he went back into the box.

I'm starting to wonder about this more to life part? The only other more I've seen is the more where I'm alone with a box of blogs. And there has got to be more to life than that.

1 comment:

  1. Love how you wove the "back into the box" theme into this post! Why choose a generic brown box when you can open a Tiffany's box? You're waiting for the right box to open a la "Let's Make A Deal." There's nothing wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete